Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ikea knock off VIKA Alex Drawer Units by Michaels Recollections


Last week Michaels had a sale on their Recollections storage collection. Buy one, get one free! So... when I saw they had these units that resembled Ikea's VIKA Alex 5 drawer units I had to check them out. I need two more for the other part of our classroom desk. The website stated they were the same height and width but had wheels that came with them.

So.. I called all over and couldn't find them. A customer service rep directed me to the 1-800 number and the lady there gave me the SKU and told me my local store had 3 in stock. So, called back to the store.. they said they were discontinued and had none. But he checked another spot in store and low and behold 2 on the shelf. That evening we went in and I purchased both. So for the price of one I got two units. Woohoo!!

I put the first unit together myself. Now.. they are great for storage but I wouldn't use them for the desk because they are made cheaper. The back is like a thicker cardstock paper and nails on unlike Ikeas which is solid like the sides. The drawers just glide in and sit on plastic rungs. Ikea's have metal drawer glides that stop and your drawers don't tip out.

The biggest bummer is these new ones are slightly taller and the finish is matte not glossy. However they do stack!! So.. instead of returning them I am using them for monthly theme/unit studies. I looked online and found free monthly labels from here. Printed them out, laminated them, cut them with my paper cutter. We found my glue dots and stuck them on the front of the shelves.






Perfect! I had been thinking of buying the Sterlite plastic 3 drawer units for this kind of storage. But these work out so much better and take up way less space. They are more sturdy and match our other furniture.

I even had cute helpers to put them together! It was a learning experience for my two oldest. They learned how to hammer in the nails and how to decipher which materials and hardware go with what. 





I still need to buy the other half of the desk.. :( I also need a few more bookcases and eventually replace the other two in I already have in there. I'm considering buying the 60ish ones from Target. They seem sturdy and are a bit more decorative. ;) Well that's all for now..











No comments:

Post a Comment